We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Poetry Friday: Scantly and Selectly

At a team-building session this week, we analyzed our working personalities and split into four groups. At work, I (and many of my colleagues) were Golds: we love order, lists, planning, organizing, and deadlines. In honor of my Gold (yellow) work style, I'm posting this poem by Emily Dickinson.


Nature rarer uses yellow
Than another hue;
Saves she all of that for sunsets,--
Prodigal of blue,

Spending scarlet like a woman,
Yellow she affords
Only scantly and selectly,
Like a lover's words.

-- Emily Dickinson


Poetry Friday is at Book Aunt this week.

Have a great weekend!
Beth

2 comments:

Author Amok said...

I love the sound of "Saves she all of that for sunsets." Something in the colors of this poem has me hankering for fall.

Beth Brezenoff, Assistant Editorial Director said...

Oh, you're right! Gold/yellow, scarlet, and blue--like the trees against the sky. I too am hankering for fall.