We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Monday, November 28, 2011

My new friend, Zeke.

A funny thing happens when you edit a series of books built around one character — you begin to think of him or her as someone you know. When I see a bright, colorful outfit, it isn't unusual for me to think, "Katie would love that! It is perfect for her." The Katie I'm referring to, of course, is Katie Woo. I also find myself thinking things like "What kind of birthday would Katie have? What would happen if she got to bring home the school pet? What if she got lost?" The great thing is author Fran Manushkin always has the answers to these questions. And best of all, I know that Katie is real to Fran, too.

Recently, I've gotten to know a new kid on a personal level. Zeke Meeks is a little older than Katie, and he doesn't have the same interest in fashion (though his sisters try to force it on him.) But like Katie, he is funny and memorable and real. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this new series of chapter books by D. L. Green. They were written with boys in mind, but girls love them, too. And our illustrator, Josh Alves, has a gift for taking D. L.'s hilarious words and making them come to life. As a result, I find myself noticing video games that Zeke might like and wondering what is on his Christmas list this year. But most of all, I just can't wait to hear his latest story, because that boy can tell a tale!

Take a look at our trailer and see why I am so excited to make a new friend in Zeke:

No comments: