We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Art Director Bob Lentz: Always ready to spread his love of food.
I love food.

I love to eat it, cook it, smell it, look at it, dream about it, draw it. I’ve probably even worn food after a vigorous workout at the local BBQ joint. And my coworkers will probably be the first to tell you that I love to talk food more than anything.

So, it’s no surprise that I’ve devoted an entire day each week to food
Thursday. Since I arrived at this office some four years ago, I’ve made it my personal mission to spread an eternal message of food and fellowship that I’ve affectionately dubbed “Thursday Lunch.” On this one day each week, I encourage everyone to leave their desk, their work, and ultimately their office in pursuit of great food. Hungry for a delicious, handmade burger? Thursday Lunch. Craving a fresh, locally-sourced salad? Thursday Lunch. Haven’t been to Taco Bell in a while? Boom! Thursday Lunch.


The thrill of it all!
But people often ask me: “Why Thursday? Why not Friday, or even Monday?” My first instinct is to reply with a “why not?” But if I had to explain it further, I’d give the following three answers:


  1. “Thursday” derives its name from “Thor’s Day,” after the mighty Norse god of thunder. Besides their penchant for violence and pillaging, Vikings were known to partake in some merry feasting. One can imagine Thor himself tearing into an enormous hambone like it was a meat popsicle. Mmm...meat popsicle.
  2. Thursday night television introduced viewers to some of the great foodies of popular culture. “Friends” gave us Monica Geller, a gourmet chef. Frasier Crane was an epicure, albeit a pretentious one. And everyone knows that Cliff Huxtable couldn’t keep his fingers out of whatever dish Claire was preparing on “The Cosby Show.”
  3. You may or may not recognize the fourth Thursday of November as Thanksgiving Day, the greatest Thursday Lunch of them all. ‘Nuff said.

In the end, Thursday Lunch is more than just “going out to eat” or “getting away from the office.” I want to believe that it lives within each of us here at Capstone Fiction, much like The Force. It calls to us. It flows through us; helps to bind us as a team. It gives us something to look forward to. It gives us hope.



-Bob Lentz, Art Director

1 comment:

D.L. Green said...

I love the idea of Thursday lunches out! And I totally want the burgers in the pictures.

Can't say I'm on board with Taco Bell though. Living in Southern CA, with our zillions of great Mexican restaurants, I last ate at Taco Bell about 15 years ago.