We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to school

Summer is over. As if on cue, the leaves in my St. Paul neighborhood have begun changing; the sun is setting sooner, rising later; there's a crispness in the air in the morning. Schoolbuses roam the streets, and as I drive to work each morning, kids wait on corners for their buses. On my way home, football teams practice, and groups of girls, backpacks slung over their shoulders, walk down the sidewalks.

I know I'm not the only person who gets excited when September rolls around. Someone said on Twitter the other day that September is a better time than January to make resolutions. Maybe it's not the beginning of the calendar year, and unlike the transition to spring, it's not full of renewed hope and warmth--no, actually, I take that back. It is. The promise of snuggling under blankets, reading a book; of curling up with hot chocolate; of time spent learning on purpose.

Welcome back to school, kids, parents, teachers, librarians, administrators--from me, and from everyone else here at Stone Arch and Picture Window. This year, let's all make it our new-school-year resolution to learn on purpose.

More soon!
Beth

1 comment:

Patricia Wooldridge said...

Dear Beth Brezenoff,
You're right.I like your list of September Promises(those soft warm blankets and quilts, just right for reading books under; the mugs of hot chocolate and enough time, especially with dusk arriving earlier every afternoon, for learning on purpose). My learning-on-purpose involves artwork and writing. The first draft of my novel for middle grade readers is finished. The first half has been revised. My instructor with the Institute of Children's Literature now has it, and I'm working on revision of the second half. This is such fun. I have just found Stone Arch Books in The Children's Writer, and now this second treat---your blog. I will look for you on Facebook and Twitter another day.

Pat Wooldridge, Maine