We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Poetry Friday: a robin is ruffling its feathers

The school year is over--or almost over--at most schools. We're in the midst of graduation-party season, and I'm suddenly starting to see a lot more kids out and about when I venture out for lunch during the week. I'm so jealous of those kids! One of the hardest things about being a grownup, to me, is the lack of summer vacation. Even though I haven't had a real summer vacation in years, I still feel that excitement as spring turns to summer. (Maybe I always will.)

Here's a poem by Mary Ruefle that really captures, to me, what those last restless days of school feel like.


The Hand


The teacher asks a question.
You know the answer, you suspect
you are the only one in the classroom
who knows the answer, ...


Read the rest of the poem here.

This week's Poetry Friday is hosted at Critique de Mr. Chompchomp.

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a great poem! As a teacher, it speaks to all of us, too!