We like books.
We're interested in ways to help more people (especially kids) like books.
You can read more about our company at www.capstonepub.com.

Monday, March 7, 2011

You CAN go home again!

You know that saying, “You can’t go home again.” It isn’t true. You can go home, and when you do, people will welcome you with open arms.

Last Friday, I had the pleasure visiting my former elementary school in Howard, South Dakota. Thanks to a large addition, the school was about twice as big as it was when I attended, yet the hallways and some of the classrooms seemed smaller. (Isn’t it funny how places seem smaller just because you are bigger?)

I read to the kindergarten, first-grade, and second-grade classes, sharing my picture books Crabby Pants and Eleanore Won’t Share. They were wonderful and attentive listeners, Even though I spend my workdays thinking about children and their reading, it isn’t often I get to witness it. Until you hear a group of kids laugh at something you have written, you just never know if the joke really works. I am happy to say that I heard a few laughs on Friday, and saw many smiles.

The first graders all had questions ready for me.

Thanks to all the little Howard Tigers who listened so nicely, to the teachers who made room in their schedules, and to Mrs. Ulrich, the librarian who organized it all. Also, thank you to the familiar faces who came out to a book signing after school. It is all of you that make me proud to say Howard is my hometown.



No comments: